Preparing for your first hypnotherapy session is an exciting opportunity towards beneficial change. For many people, their presenting symptoms may have been long term and sometimes a new event has served as the catalyst for change (for example, new career, partner, marriage). It is your own motivation and desire that plays an important part in enabling the success of the hypnotherapeutic suggestion process.
Most practitioners offer prospective clients a free consultation session to determine suitability for hypnotherapy and also to help to prepare a new client with an understanding of what they can expect from the process. In preparing for their first hypnotherapy session, I offer my prospective clients 20 minutes in which they can discuss their symptoms and related history and importantly, the desired beneficial outcome. The practitioner may then indicate to the client a procedural plan which will become more defined after the initial session. For example, two sessions of suggestion therapy will often be sufficient for habit cessation, however, where a habit is linked to other issues or past traumatic events, hypnotherapy may take longer.
The object is for the client to gain the most from the first hypnotherapy session and subsequent appointments. During my many years in practice I have been asked a variety of questions and here are a few brief points to consider further of which are often contained in a pre-consultation letter.
Preparing for Your First Hypnotherapy Session –
- Make brief details about your symptoms and any related events.
- Bring any GP or Consultant’s letter of referral containing clinical details.
- Full disclosure will be necessary for certain clinical conditions – ask your hypnotherapist.
- Eat something suitable prior to your session to prevent being distracted by hunger pangs.
- Avoid caffeine during the hours prior to your session to avoid hyperactivity.
- Location – allow time to familiarise yourself with the clinic’s location you are travelling to.
- Parking – unless parking is offered on-site, request details of local parking space.
- Payment facilities – ask the therapist before your appointment. Most offer paypal facility online or the use of electronic banking transfer.
- Cancellation policy – be aware of the therapist’s cancellation policy agreement so that goodwill is maintained. Many therapists make no charges for illness or unforeseen events.
- Your participation – the importance that you fully participate in the therapeutic process.
- Choose a time for your appointment that suits your body clock and allows you to relax.
When you arrive for hypnotherapy with me, a simple contract letter will be undertaken. This contains your details, the therapist’s details, any medical disclosure notes/current medication, past therapy undertaken, and importantly what you are attending for (ie. smoking cessation, weight management, stress management) and what you hope to achieve. This protects both you and the therapist.
Enjoy your hypnotherapy. Remember – The object is your desired beneficial change.
Preparing for your first Hypnotherapy Session – Contact Sara, Tel 07827 505389